The dreaded question… what do you want to eat?
Last time I was at my sister’s house in Louisiana she asked me what I wanted for dinner – truly one of the questions I fear most. I’m a Libra okay, y’all? Libra’s excel in a lot of areas but decision-making is not one of them… I honestly can NEVER decide what I want to eat for a meal. When it comes to food I’d rather it just be placed in front of me because let’s be honest.. if it’s edible, it’ll get eaten.
So many thoughts running through my head…”Dinner. Eat. Food. Okay. What is food?” That one question must have been on repeat for about 5 minutes as I was zoned out and silently panicking…however, the panic must have been on my face because my sister finally interrupted my repeat thoughts with, “Taylor? You good? Don’t worry, I’ll just figure it out.” — MUSIC TO MY FREAKING EARS.
Phew. Dodged a bullet. My sister leaves for the store and I get back to putting together the mermaid puzzle me and my 5 year old niece we’re working on before I almost had a dinner-decision panic attack…
Fast forward an hour or so to the heavenly aromas coming from the kitchen. I walk in to see my sister with some sort of butternut squash concoction on the stove. Mmm..I freaking love butternut squash! I look over on the counter and there is some sort of pastry shell type thing laid out and I have zero idea what’s about to go down..
My sister always makes cooking look so easy so I just assumed this was one of her many random but tasty ideas..it wasn’t until I was licking my plate an or so later she told she got the receipt from a Buzz Feed Video on Facebook. I almost fell out of my chair! Don’t get me wrong..I always watch those drool worthy videos too but I never expected my #rajuncajun sister who gets on Facebook twice a year to try one out?! I told her I’d need the receipt and the rest is history!
One of the easiest, tastiest meals she and I both make now! And the best part is this receipt is super simple to modify. I’m not a huge sausage lover so sometimes I’ll do turkey sausage or even go with no meat and add extra veggies!
Below are all ingredients and step-by-step instructions to this delicious dinner braid! Y’all comment below and let me know if you try it out or even some of your other favorite Buzz Feed Foods!
Servings: 8 (recipe makes 4 braids)
16 ounces butternut squash, cubed (available in precut bags at most stores)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound mild bulk Italian sausage
1 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 sage leaves, chopped
8 ounces baby spinach
1 ½ cups Italian cheese blend, divided
2 packages frozen puff pastry dough (4 sheets)
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add the Italian sausage, garlic, and onion. Break up the sausage pieces and stir until cooked through.
3. Add sage and spinach, and cook until spinach wilts. Remove from heat.
(Microwave butternut squash and splash of water for 3 minutes – if using pre portioned bag, poke holes in bag and microwave for 3 minutes.)
4. Stir the cooked butternut squash and cheese blend into the sausage and spinach mix.
5. Roll out the puff pastry squares.
6. Using the vertical fold line in the pastry as a guide, cut diagonal lines along the left and right side of the pastry square, about an inch apart. Remove the corner pieces.
7. Fill the center with about ¼ of the filling.
8. Starting from the top, fold down the flap, then alternate right and left until you are close to the bottom. Fold the bottom flap up and finish alternating between right and left. Tuck any extra puff pastry underneath.
9. Brush with egg wash.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
11. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
12. Enjoy, take pictures and comment below how much you enjoyed this easy, delicious meal and what, if any, modifications you made to it!